|Explore Sorority Membership||Explore Fraternity Membership|
- Leader development opportunities
- Practical skills and experience to help secure internships, co-ops, and postgraduate employment
- Social events to meet other community members as well as Lafayette students
- Networking with alumni and College leaders
- Organized intramural leagues
- Civic Engagement in the form of community service experiences and philanthropic endeavors.
- Academic support and assistance
- Lifelong friendships
Family-style living in a fraternity or sorority house has great appeal for members. Living, eating, and studying together helps solidify lifelong friendships. Lafayette provides trained Resident Advisers for sororities and House Assistants for fraternities to help foster a positive living-learning environment. All chapter members, whether they live in the chapter house or elsewhere, benefit from the usage of the chapter facility.
Basic Community Standards of the Fraternity & Sorority Community:
- All forms of hazing are prohibited
- All sorority houses are 100% substance-free. In fraternity housing, only those who are 21 are able to consume alcohol in their own room. All Fraternity and Sorority housing is smoke-free.
- Chapters (individual groups) and councils (governing body) have different grade requirements to join.
- Chapters must complete an annual accreditation program.
Why Invest in the Fraternity & Sorority Experience?
The Lafayette Fraternity | Sorority community is built on strong academic standards. Members expect a lot of themselves and each other. Working together, they pride themselves on academic excellence. Chapters provide:
- Individual and group performance tracking and measurement
- Host faculty and departmental programs
- Group study sessions
- Workshops on study skills, test-taking strategies, time management, stress relief, and resume building
- Faculty advisers offer support and expertise
- Academic standards and member improvement plans should a member fall below the chapter GPA requirement
Service to others and the community is a part of everyday life in the fraternity/sorority community. Our members are generous fundraisers and service providers, annually giving more than $40,000 and 2,500 hours to local and national charities. Our chapters:
- Organize, volunteer, and host over 81 different community service and philanthropic initiatives each year.
- Organize dozens of chapter events to raise money and educate the campus
- Host and support other student organizations’ educational programming about issues of civic engagement
As a member of a fraternity or sorority you’ll find tremendous opportunities to become an effective leader. Greek organizations are self-governing with numerous leadership opportunities. Membership offers leadership training programs campus-wide and within chapters. Our members have the opportunity to:
- Participate in on of the 7 leader cohorts (bi-weekly leader learning community)
- Get involved on the Panhellenic or Interfraternity Councils
- Serve on the various committee, initiatives, and partner programs.
- Serve as their chapter’s Resident Adviser or Fraternity House Assistant
- Hold a leader role within in their chapter
- Represent the Fraternity and Sorority community on College committees
- Attend Regional and National conferences
- Attend the Undergraduate Interfraternity Institute (annual summer experience)
- Attend national or regional programming supported by the chapter’s inter/national organization
Intercultural Development ~ cultural and Global competency
Multicultural competence is an essential component of a well-rounded liberal arts education. We aim to to explore concepts such as equality, power, privilege, civility, social justice and freedom. Fraternity and sorority members look to be a place for 21st century growth.
Character and Values Development
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching.” Fraternities and Sororities are Values Based life-long experiences. Each group is founded on a set of values, principles, or creed that manifests in the actions, behaviors, and attitudes of the individual members. Fraternity and Sorority life ultimate goal is to live our espoused values in our actions, behaviors and attitudes. The community provides a place to examine ones values, commit to the values of their Fraternity/Sorority and practice and grow the congruence needed to continue to grow.
The friendship of Fraternity and Sorority life is a true family experience. It offers you the security and happiness that is part of the brother/sister bond. While you don’t have to limit your social life to Fraternity and Sorority activities, you will find many opportunities to meet and interact with your chapter, other chapters, and other campus organizations. Family-style living in the chapter house has great appeal for members. Living, eating, and studying together helps solidify lifelong friendships.
Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Farinon College Center - 107/107C
101 Hogg Hall
Easton, PA 18042
Monday-Friday 9:30am - 5:30pm
FB: Lafayette College Fraternity and Sorority Life